Openhouse Macedon Ranges and Cobaw Community Health’s WayOut program are hosting the LGBTI Equality Roadshow in Kyneton on Zero Discrimination Day, Thursday 1 March.
The LGBTI Equality Roadshow was developed to help connect community members across towns in Victoria, reduce discrimination and promote the inclusion of LGBTI people in rural and regional life. The Victorian Government’s first Commissioner for Gender and Sexuality, Ro Allen, is leading the Roadshow to help form these critical partnerships between community members and services.
At the Roadshow attendees can learn about the latest research evidence of LGBTI experiences, terminology and frameworks for responding effectively, and hear from the Gender and Sexuality Commissioner about the work the Victorian Government is undertaking in the LGBTI space. There will also be a panel of experts discuss what zero discrimination means to them with the opportunity for attendees to ask questions. The panel includes Ro Allen, Harry McAnulty – Victorian Aids Council in Bendigo, Reverend Wendy Elson – Uniting Church, and Dr Susi Fox – Equinox Gender Centre and Ranges Medical Centre, as well as Kieran and Bella, two young people from the Macedon Ranges who identify as LGBTIQ+.
The Roadshow aims to:
- Raise awareness of homophobia, transphobia, biphobia and intersexphobia
- Reduce discrimination encountered by LGBTI communities
- Build inclusive practice understanding and capability of government and council staff, community workers and health practitioners in regional locations
- Recognise the work and achievements of regional and rural programs supporting LGBTI equality
- Create network and connections between LGBTI leaders and organisations, rural and regional service providers and local government.
The Equality Roadshow will be arriving in Kyneton on Thursday 1 March at the Bluestone Theatre, 28 Hutton Street from 9:30am-12:30pm with all community members welcome to attend. Cobaw staff will be available to respond to enquiries or provide further LGBTIQ+ specific information at the event. Refreshments and a light lunch will be provided with RSVPs encouraged. For further information or to RSVP contact Cobaw Community Health on 1300 0 26229 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about the WayOut LGBTIQ+ program, contact 1300 0 26229 or visit the Facebook page ‘WayOut Macedon Ranges’. Openhouse Macedon Ranges can be contacted on Facebook under ‘Openhouse Macedon Ranges’.